William McGrath's Reported Cases and Representative Matters
• Silkwood vs. Kerr-McGee Corp., 464 U.S. 238 (1984). One of the team of attorneys that represented defendant in a matter involving the scope of preemption under the Atomic Energy Act.
• In re Amsted Industries, Inc., 972 F.2d 1326 (Fed. Cir. 1992). Represented Amsted Industries in an appeal of a Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) ruling refusing to register a solid color trademark for thermoplastic encapsulated wire rope. Obtained the registration after the successful appeal.
• Roulo vs. Russ Berrie & Co., 886 F.2d 931 (7th Cir. 1989). Co-counsel for plaintiff in the trial and appeal of a case involving copyright and trade dress infringement of greeting card designs. The case resulted in a $4.3 million verdict for plaintiff.
• Hot Samba, Inc. vs. Caterpillar, Inc., 2004 WL 609797 (N.D.Ill. 2004). Represented plaintiff in claim of copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation relating to an e-commerce software program. After a four week trial, the jury found in favor of the plaintiff on both claims, awarding compensatory and punitive damages.
• Storm Impact, Inc. vs. Software of the Month Club, 13 F.Supp.2d 782 (N.D.Ill. 1998). Represented plaintiff in a copyright infringement trial involving unauthorized use of computer shareware. The case resulted in an award of statutory damages and attorney's fees to plaintiff.
• Pioneer, Inc. vs. Hitachi High Technologies America, Inc., 74 U.S.P.Q.2d 1672 (2005). Represented Hitachi in a TTAB Opposition Proceeding concerning registration of a mark for video and audio products.
• Nightingale vs. Nightingale-Conant Corporation. Co-counsel for the publisher in an arbitration matter relating to copyright ownership and royalty claims on the entire body of works of radio personality and author Earl Nightingale.
• Natkin vs. Winfrey, 111 F.Supp.2d 1003 (N.D.Ill. 2000). Filed a report as an expert witness for plaintiff in copyright infringement case dealing with issues of work-made-for-hire and joint authorship of photographs of Oprah Winfrey show.